Why am posting this?
Because a few months ago, I found myself in a dilemma searching for a new lawyer! At first, I thought it was easy since there are many of them out there, but turns out it was one of the most difficult decisions to make! No matter how smart you think you are, the legal landscape can stop you from undergoing any of your projects. You should choose wisely and never think you can do it on your own!
Getting back to the essentials, here are the big points:
1. Don’t be impressed by big offices, shiny suits, Montblanc pens and a mountain of books on the shelves.
2. Do your proper research of the topic in hand before meeting him in order to ask the accurate questions and assess properly his knowledge of the subject.
3. Narrow your questions and don’t stick to generalities.
4. Let him draw your strategy and not only help you out, or else go find yourself a secretary, it would be much cheaper!
5. Know that law is not an exact science, so the lawyers who show extra confidence and say: “100% we can make it”, DITCH THEM! Do not work with this one…
6. Make sure he can stand in your way and argue with you. You don’t want a guy that listens to whatever you say! A lawyer is not your psychologist!
7. Trust him blindly as if he is your best friend. A legal advice is not only a business transaction. Trust should be placed before knowledge and know how. Remember that confidentiality is the key for every successful lawyer!
8. Avoid an achieved lawyer that has nothing to lose. He is too famous to put that extra effort on you. You need a young guy with ambition that is eager to achieve. He will try the impossible to make it and earn a reputation.
9. Take a written proposal. Do not get satisfied with an oral agreement: “treka beynetna, mnehkeh fiya ba3dein, walaw hay detail!”
10. Feel at ease with him to a point that you can contact him any time of the day. I am sure my lawyer is reading and relating to this point in particular.